Scotty and I spoke with Devon Yanko (then Crosby-Helms) a few years ago after she ran her Olympic qualifier for the marathon, but she’s been busy opening a bakery for the past few years and has stayed away from the ultra circuit.
After a recent 7th place finish at Two Oceans (ultra)Marathon in South Africa and two solid marathon wins, Devon is slated to run Leadville, Comrades, and I’m sure quite a few more domestic ultras before then.
In this interview we talk about:
- So what is Two Oceans Marathon?
- What’s it like running with Africans and Russians? Same feel as a domestic MUT race?
- Steroids in ultras. Are they prevalent?
- The ins and outs of opening your own bakery and how she applied ultra principles to the work.
- Are you a baker who runs? You’re hired!
- Devon is sponsored by Oiselle and she talks about the culture and company and how it transfers so well to the MUT world.
- Her new sponsor is Hoka. Are they the right shoes for her?
- The Marin phenomenon. What’s in the water that is putting out such high quality runners and performances right now?
Here’s Devon and Nathan’s bakery.
Here’s the Two Oceans site.
Here’s the video of that crazy band we spoke about.
Here’s San Francisco Running Company’s new site.
Here’s Devon’s original interview with Scotty and I. (Dang, I sound different.)
Outro music: Seasons (waiting on you) by Future Islands