Emily’s Gluten Free Deep Dish Pizza
We interviewed McMillan Running coach Ian Torrence last year (and took copious notes while doing so), but this recipe is brought to us by his girlfriend, Adidas Team athlete Emily Harrison. Ian simply gets to enjoy the spoils.
Thick Crust Gluten-Free Pizza
Use this pizza crust recipe by Food Republic, but replace their multi-purpose flour with King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour. NOTE – Any multi-purpose flour would work.
Makes 2, 12-inch pies
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing bowl, dough ball. and crust
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting your work surface
- 1 cup slightly warm water
- favorite pizza toppings
- In the bowl, pour the warm water in and sprinkle with yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. NOTE: Hot water will kill the yeast.
- Add sugar, oil, and salt into yeast mixture.
- Slowly add the flour and mix until a dough ball forms. Transfer to a floured work surface and knead by hand until a smooth ball comes together.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and brush top with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm area for about an hour. The dough should double in size.
- Cut the dough in half. Place both pieces on a floured work surface and gently knead.
- Hand press both pieces into two separate 9-inch cake pans. Press dough up on the sides for a thick crust. Brush entire crust with olive oil and sprinkle on Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Pre-cook crust in the oven at 400 degrees (without ingredients) for 3-5 minutes or until crust is set. Remove from the oven.
- Now garnish with your favorite pizza toppings. Brush the exposed dough with olive oil and place in a 400-degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and cheese is thoroughly melted.
- Freeze unused dough by wrapping it in plastic and placing it in a resealable freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Pizza 1 – Basil Pesto, cheese, tomato and fresh basil
Pizza 2 – Red pizza sauce, fresh garlic, cheese, Canadian bacon and pineapple
Pizza 3 – Red pizza sauce, cheese, black olives, green onion, bacon, mushrooms
Please use real name. Anonymous comments will be deleted. Thanks.