John Kelly Interview – Barkley Finisher 15
John Kelly joined me just a few days after his finish to talk about what it took to finish the Barkley Marathons. Here’s a hint: Massive amounts of planning, decades of course knowledge, his Aunt Brenda’s cookies, and the incredible ability to focus through a dense fog of fatigue.
In this episode, we discuss:
- His background in running and how he got into the race after only running for two years.
- What he did wrong when he ran it in 2015 and what he did wrong in 2016.
- What Barkley-specific training helped him prepare physically. And aside from having new twins at home, what helped him mentally?
- His prescient blog post from 2016 about persevering through failure at Barkley.
- What strategies he used when the mental fatigue overtook him.
- Whether after running together for two days straight, did he and Gary start to snap at each other?
- The final question: What’s harder, an Ironman triathlon or Barkley? (duh)
John Kelly Episode Sponsor Notes – Run the Red Desert
Episode sponsored by Run the Red Desert trail run in Kilpecker Sand Dunes in Wyoming on June 3rd. Multiple distances, all with a wild and rugged feel and a laid back atmosphere. Again, check out the video to get a taste of the terrain…it looks awesome. Thanks again for supporting URP!
John Kelly Episode Notes
Here’s the URP Patreon page.