Kyle Pietari – Leadville Lessons, Strollers, Run Commuting, and Poop Science
Kyle Pietari (Altra/NordicTrack) ran Leadville in 2012 as his first hundred miler and finished in 28th place. Not bad, but since then, he’s been back to finish 2nd two times, has wins and podiums across the country, and ran to a grueling M10 at Western States Endurance Run last year after spraining his ankle at mile seven.
Kyle’s got a big calendar this year (some big ultramarathons, plus one crazy ambitious goal!) and he explains how he plans to train for everything while balancing a family of three kids, wife, and a busy job as a litigator in Denver.
“My first hundred miler. Wow. That was the most profound experience I’ve ever had running. It tore me apart down to the very inner depths of my soul.” -Kyle Pietari
In this interview, we talk about:
- Why he doesn’t use a coach.
- What happened to him at WS100 in 2016 and how adapted to the problems.
- What he thinks needs to be done to stop doping and cheating in our sport.
- What he did wrong at his first hundred miler, and what he still does wrong.
- His role in fecal transplant science and the innovation that’s coming out of studying poop.
- How in the world he manages to listen to/read 40 books each year.
- The Power of Poop website.
- Kyle mentioned that he’s been using Jason Koop’s book Training Essentials for Ultrarunning: How to Train Smarter, Race Faster, and Maximize Your Ultramarathon Performance.
- If you liked this talk with Kyle, you might also like our episode with Ben Nephew. Wide-ranging, family guy, smart dude, big results.
- Here’s a short video about LickSkillet Road, the steepest country road in ‘Merica. Yep, that looks pretty nuts. Jamil, Billy, can you guys keep up?
- Here’s more on the Wyss Lab at Harvard and here’s the link to FitBionics.
- He also mentioned this book about parenting: Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason
- Here’s more on the One Day in Auburn 24 Hour Run.
- Outro music by AJ LeGrand.
- (the above links to Amazon go to affiliate pages that will drop a few pesos into the URP bucket. Thanks for supporting the site this way!)
Connect with Kyle Pietari:
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Email | RSS
Please use real name. Anonymous comments will be deleted. Thanks.