Mae Barker and Zach Hanna are a couple from Florida who’ve been running together for a few years while also busy at home with two kids and demanding jobs. Let’s hear from a couple who train on flat roads but race on mountain trails.
I wanted to interview them for URP to have them explain how they managed to run Rio Del Lago 100 miler together–from the start, every step of the way–and end the race while still happily married. Did they plan on running together or did it happen along the trail? What are the benefits and drawbacks of staying side by side for 24 hours, and would they do it again?
We also hear about:
- How hats and other little incentives can help performance.
- What to do when you’re signed up for a race but a hurricane is bearing down on your house? (Answer: Find childcare and go to the race.)
- Running with your coach.
- Great advice about handling negativity while running with someone.
- Fidget spinners and kids.
- Mae’s awesome idea in the fartlek round of the interview about running camps. Seriously, someone needs to make this happen. You’ll have to listen to hear it all.
Here’s more info on the Fort Clinch 50/100…sounds like Caleb might be getting a new co-RD?
Here’s the John Kelly (Barkley) episode they referenced while discussing negativity.
Episode Sponsor: Transelkirks | Revelstoke, BC
Run Five days (100 miles) or three days (100k) while staying in the luxurious Revelstoke Resort in Revelstoke, BC. Alpine singletrack, lush rainforest, and beautiful weather await you at the only trail ultramarathon permitted in a Canadian National Park. Join Race Director Jacob Puzey for a fun week of tough running and fun times. More info right this way.