Morgan Elliot joined me to talk about his insatiable love for the outdoors and the trails. This is a guy who’s written an ode to singletrack, lives in his car part of the year to be closer to the trails, picks wild mushrooms to eat after his run, and is on a quest to learn everything he can about trail racing. He’s only been at the ultra distance for a few years but has plenty of lessons and stories to share.
In this interview with Morgan Elliot, we discuss:
- The 2016 Skyrunning series and what he had to do to win the thing.
- Training secrets from Walmsley, and whether Morgan thinks he’ll break 14 at Western States.
- His own public goal setting and how he balance confidence and boasting.
- Pacing a random stranger at a major race after his runner came up DNF.
- His time at the most trail-runner-sounding college in the US.
Morgan Elliot Episode Notes
Episode sponsored by the Mendocino Coast 50k. Vegan 50k on the spectacular California redwood coast on April 22.
Here’s Morgan’s ode to the trails that I referenced in the chat.
He runs for Inov-8 and FootRx in Asheville, NC.
In our new Gear Talk portion of the interview, URP review guy Ben Zuehlsdorf fills us in on the new The North Face Endurus Trail and the CamelBak Ultra 10 hydration pack. Tell me what you think about the reviews. Like them in the podcast as well as published on the site? Right length?
Outro music by the Washburn Family Bluegrass Band. Love it!