Sabrina Stanley is on a streak right now. In the last 18 months she’s won Orcas Island 50, the Marathon Trail Lago di Como in Italy, and Hardrock 100. She’s also podiumed at HURT, Jemez Mountain, Golden Ticket race Sean O’Brien 100k, and the Western States Endurance Run.
But it’s those podium races that bug her the most. Sabrina has a competitive drive that’s served her well and helps drive her passion. She throws herself into training for one big push each year and will not feel satisfied until she leaves with a win. Course record? Not good enough. Personal best? Nope. She wants other runners to fear her and she wants to win.
In this interview, Sarah and I talk to Sabrina about the genesis of this drive, the family atmosphere of growing up with five siblings, and how she still competes with her huge family. We talk about crewing for Avery during Tor des Geants and her subsequent race and gelato fest in Italy. We discuss her relationship with Avery and what it’s like to run together, coach together, and live together in a truck, and we talk about how sponsors have dealt with their advocacy for cannabis use.
Lots to cover, but Sabrina was ready for the challenge! Turns out she’d been training for this interview for the past few years.
Sabrina Stanley Episode Notes
- Here’s a great article about Sabrina by Henry Howard.
- Here’s more on the Marathon Trail Lago di Como.
- Here’s our interview with Avery Collins.
- Here’s the Power Couple Coaching website.
- Here’s our interview with Rich Hunter and here’s the United in Stride website in case you’d like to get involved in guiding.
- Here’s Sarah’s blog that she’s promised to update soon.
- Intro music by David Rosales. | Outro music by Matt Flaherty.