It’d be easy to look at Timothy Olson’s career and focus on the past. He’s got some big wins (current course record at Western States Endurance Run, anyone?), plenty of highlights, and has run at the top of the field for years, but I wanted to have Tim on to talk about what’s going on now and what sort of plans he has for the future.
What I found is some squeezing the most out of life. He’s traveling the world with his family, living for months at a time in exotic locations with nearby trails, training and teaching locals, racing, and putting on retreats that extol his mindful approach to life and trail running. Amidst all the activity is his love for the trails and for competition, a real passion to give it his all.
In this interview, we talk about:
- What he thought of the competition at the recent North Face Championships.
- How he’s transitioned from running for fun to running as a career and how his family fits into that equation.
- Overtraining and how to avoid it.
- What’s on his calendar for 2018 both internationally and domestically.
- The state of our sport and what it may look like in a few years.
- The realities of reality shows and why he can never see TV the same again.
Tim Olson Episode Notes
Tim mentioned he’d been to a Brother Ali show recently. Here’s more. Strong message.
Here’s more on Tim and Krista’s Run Mindful Retreats.
Cover image courtesy Emma Hussey.
Timothy Olson Web Contacts
Timothy Olson Episode Sponsor: Broken Arrow Skyrace
Get ready for three days of epic mountain running, speakers, film screenings, expos, social events with craft beer and a whole lot more. With 52K, 26K and VK (Vertical Kilometer) events, there is truly something for everyone. Here’s a great video of the race that shows the terrain you’ll be encountering in California’s first and only SkyRunning event.
Join me and a few hundred other adventurers in mid June of 2018 for true alpine running and tons of fun.