Ladia Albertson-Junkans ran the competitive Chuckanut 50k for her first ultramarathon last year and won it. With a stacked field that included YiOu Wang, Camille Herron, and Corinne Malcom, Ladia bonked hard but rallied and came out on top.
I think I’ve learned to focus on joy through the physical discomfort and physical strain, and in some way I derive joy from that, which I think a lot of us do.
She’s represented the US in Mountain Running Championships, she’s won road races, ran as an All-American in collegiate cross country, and recently she’s been turning her attention more towards trail ultras.
This past weekend, Ladia Albertson-Junkans lined up at the competitive Way Too Cool 50k and, once again, came out on top and looked like she had a blast the whole way.
But this isn’t an interview about winning races. Ladia shares her stories and feelings about why she loves running and the trail community , what drives her to compete, and what she is truly seeking each time she toes the line.
In this interview, we talk about:
- The positive influences of high school and college coaches.
- How Ladia transitioned into trail running and ultimately ultra distance events.
- The power of a positive attitude and community involvement.
- What she learned pacing Kaytlyn Gerbin at Western States 100 and will we ever see her line up at Squaw?
- The differences between “cross country running” and “trail running.” Anyone have anything to add to that?
- What she learned during her first ultramarathon at Chuckanut and how she applied those lessons to Way Too Cool.
- And of course, projectilve vomiting.
Episode Sponsor: Splats Sunscreen
Looking for a solution to staying safe in the sun without lugging around a bottle in your pack? Splats Sunscreen makes a single-use packet of high quality sunscreen that’s great for hydration packs and drop bags that you can use to reapply throughout the day. Makes sense, right? Check them out!
Ladia Albertson-Junkans Episode Notes:
Here’s the URP interview with Kaytlyn Gerbin.
Here’s the Nike Borderclash XC start I was talking about. Jump to 1:00 for the action!
Here’s the info on Steen’s Mountain High Altitude Running Camp.
We talked about Broken Arrow Skyrace and why it’d be a perfect race for her.
Here’s more on Ladia’s friend Gabe Grunewald’s fight against cancer.
During Ben’s Gear Talk, we discussed:
- Under Armour HOVR
- Salomon Sonic RA
- Reebok Floatride Run Fast Pro
- Altra Superior 3.5
- Altra King Mountain
- Suunto Spartan Heart Rate Baro
- Garmin 935
- The North Face RKT Shorts
Connect with Ladia: