Sebastian Salsbury is only fourteen years old–he’s a freshman in high school–but has already run 20 ultramarathons and 30 trail races. He’s qualified for Western States, considers Max King and Luis Escobar his friends, and recently went on an epic run in the Grand Canyon.
I’ve been following Sebastian for awhile, both from an interested media perspective, and from the eye of a parent and a kids running coach. Up until this point, I’d been hesitant to have him on the show because I didn’t want to risk exploiting him. I’ve seen too much attention given to kids by overzealous parents or teenagers driven to be influencers. Luckily, those concerns were alleviated after our talk this week. This kid loves pushing himself, is passionate about the trail/ultra community, and understands what it takes to succeed more than most people twice his age.
In this interview, we talk about:
- How he got into running.
- How does he respond to people who question whether he’s pushed by his parents?
- Is he planning on running XC in high school?
- How does he balance being a normal HS kid and have a life as a trail runner?
- The impact trail running camps had on his life.
- And how in the world he ended up in the Grand Canyon with Max, Jim, and Jim’s girlfriend Jess this past weekend.
- Beer? Nope, halloween candy.
Sebastian Salsbury Episode Notes
Follow Seb on Instagram right here and check out some of the videos of his Grand Canyon adventure.
Gear Chat with Ben
Follow along on our Instagram to see all the new products Ben is checking out, including the new TOPO shoe he mentioned.)
(The products were provided to URP for testing purposes. All words are our own. The above links are Amazon affiliate links. We’d prefer you purchase these products from your local, independently owned run specialty store, but if those aren’t available, using the links will drop a few nickels into the URP coffers and we’d appreciate it.)